[LAU] Resonance

Peter Plessas plessas at mur.at
Thu Dec 27 16:31:20 EST 2007

* John Anderson <ardour at semiosix.com> [2007-12-27 18:17]:
> On Thu, 2007-12-27 at 16:21 +0000, Folderol wrote:
> > On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 16:38:21 +0100
> > Fons Adriaensen <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:

> > > The way to simulate this is not to use filters but
> > > delays with feedback.
> >
> > I had to think about this for a while, but it does of course make
> > perfect sense. Using delays will give not only the fundamental but also
> > all the harmonics as well, just as a mechanical resonance would do :)
>
> Ah, OK. A delay also implies a comb filter, right? So a multi-tap delay
> would allow you to simulate a space with different sizes in the 3
> different dimensions?

Strictly speaking, one delay gives you one reflection, let's say off one
wall. But since sound propagates in spherical waves, it will bounce on
many surfaces, not one (if you are in a room).
So don't expect to simulate a real room using a plain multitap delay.
You would have to look for a delay feedback network,
which will introduce much random reflections.

regards, Peter