[LAU] Looking for Portable Digital Recorder, on a budget

Bob van der Poel bob at mellowood.ca
Fri Dec 28 11:11:15 EST 2007

>> The H2 user manual states the supported Operating Systems are Windows
>> XP, Windows Vista, and MacOSX 10.2 or later.
>>
>> As stated above, I'm running openSUSE 10.2 with a 2.6.x kernel.  Is
>> there any chance I'd be able to run the H2 through a USB port into my
>> kernel and have all the functionality mentioned in the user manual?
>
> If they are telling the truth about the spec (and I don't see why they
> wouldn't) then you should have no problems. It's mass storage at 'full
> speed' i.e. 'fast' USB 1.1 (which is actually a bit slow)

I don't have an H2, but I do LOVE my H4. I think I'd be just as happy
with the H2 and have some cash in my accounts for other toys. The only
thing I haven't been able to do with the H4 is to use it (or the mic
ports on it) as a usb device on my linux box ... it probably does work,
but it's a feature I don't need so I've not spent a lot of time fooling
with it. BTW, the zoom folks have recently updated the H4 firmware so
that sd cards bigger than 2gig are supported. I have a recording of me
and my saxophone on my website recorded with the H4.

EMAIL: bob at mellowood.ca
WWW:   http://www.mellowood.ca