[linux-audio-user] Still on the look out for _GOOD_ sampled drums

Tommi Sakari Uimonen tuimonen at cc.hut.fi
Thu Feb 1 17:19:40 EST 2007

> Hi all!

Hello

>  I still have one problem: I don't have any acoustic drums I REALLY, TRULY
> love. I have one hardware synth with drums, which are ok in the mix )sometimes

My problem exactly for a long long time, until now. I finally have a
decent drum sounds that keep me going on.

Here is a sample, made with my loyal companions ZynAddSubFx, Hydrogen and
Rosegarden, recorded with Ardour.

http://users.tkk.fi/tuimonen/drumsample.ogg

It starts with melodic stuff, the drums are introduced somewhat later and
then it gets ugly at the end. Unfinished and unmixed version.

Drums are mainly from freesound (691_ianhall_Ian_s_Drum_Set,
889_ltibbits_High_Quality_Cymbals,17_TicTacShutUp_Studio_Drums_1) and
ns_kit7free.

Bassdrum is basicly ripped from one mp3 that starts with snare and
bassdrum "riff" and mixed with one of my own recorded bassdrum. I know the
band/guy who is responsible for the sounds, so after they release their
CD, I'm going to ask permission for that bd sound (at least for my
personal usage). I use two slightly different bd samples to get more
natural feeling, at least for double hits that play very close to each
other.

Three toms is from ns_kit7free (tom_flr,tom_mid,tom_hi) and one is from
13249_ianhall_rack_tom.aiff

http://users.tkk.fi/tuimonen/drumkit.xml.bz2

Here is drumkit.xml that I used in Hydrogen. I cannot redistribute the
actual samples, but you are free to download them from freesound (and
ns_kit7free from http://www.naturalstudio.co.uk/ns_kit7freedownload.html)
and save the samples to ./hydrogen/data/TU_2/ along with the
drumkit.xml and you are set to go..well almost, since Hydrogen is not text
based so it's not usable to you. But someone could cook up a script that
reads drumkit.xml and produces nice soundfont or .gig file out of it.

I'm warning though, that I get Hydrogen 0.9.3 to crash when one song using
this drumkit is loaded and I open another that uses the same drumkit. So
better just quit in between songs. And I disabled the 'Restore last used
song' because the drumkit loads quite a while.

> good velocity layering and nice basic sampled instruments. If possible it
> would be nice if it had a few more cymbals (I like them :-)).

Check out 889_ltibbits_High_Quality_Cymbals from freesound (Creative
Commons Sampling Plus 1.0 License)

Freesound is quite nice place; After you find some user that has uploaded
good stuff, just see the user's profile and check out what samples he/she
has downloaded. This is how I found those three drum sets.

Happy drumming!

Tommi