[linux-audio-user] Commercial "clone" of ZynAddSubFX?

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Sat Feb 3 09:39:47 EST 2007

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 01:01:18 -0500 (EST)
Larry Troxler <lt at westnet.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Feb 2007, Ken Restivo wrote:
> > Wish there were a way to approach all the talented hackers who are unfortunately wasting their time working on trying to crack it, and instead get them a copy of the Zyn source, to revamp it from scratch and make it RT-safe.
>
> Zyn isn't RT safe? Could you elaborate or point to a link? I remember
> reading something about this, and was hoping to use it for live
> performance.
>
>   Larry Troxler

I have heard several comments to this effect, and also that the code
in Zyn is 'a nightmare' however I have not heard anything specific that
one can really get a handle on.

While I agree the GUI is poor and could do with quite a lot of work, I
don't know about the rest, although there are changes I would like in
the way voice banks are managed.

This all causes me quite a lot of concern. I find that Zyn gives
unparallelled results, and conceptually most closely matches my grasp
of sound. I am concerned about talk of unspecified jack problems, and
also the lack of any visible development by the originator.

I, personally, would be willing to expend a great deal of effort to
help revive Zyn, and would be quite happy to put my hand in my
pocket as well.

--
Will J G