[linux-audio-user] ardour and mp3?

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Mon Feb 5 21:27:10 EST 2007

On Sat, 2007-02-03 at 16:57 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-02-03 at 16:39 -0500, Matt Price wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > just starting to use ardour2 for production (thanks everyone for the
> > help) and running into a little frustration with the mp3 files from my
> > recorder.  ardour of course doesn't import from mp3; I can, I suppose,
> > convert the files to mp3 one at a time when I want to, but I wonder if
> > there's a more fluid way

> this is an area where, unlike all proprietary DAWs, we'd prefer you to
> leverage the power of the platform you are running Ardour on.
>
> for example, suppose you have a program called mp3towave and a directory
> full of mp3 files, you can create a script that looks like this:
>
> ------- cut here ------------
> #!/bin/sh
>
> for file in $*
> do
>     mp3towave $file
> done
> ------- and here -------------
>
> the beauty of this approach is that although today you "just" want to do
> mp3 conversion, next week, you can adapt this to something else.
>
> let me know how this looks. i have not discussed specific tools you
> could use for the conversion since it sounds as if you have that
> covered.

thanks paul first of all for these excellent tools which I'm just
starting to enjoy and now for this advice.    Also thanks to folks for
the excellent scripts and tips, am using the python script now with a
few mods and it works great.

I notice however that ardour pretty well always converts my .wav files,
no matter what sample rate I set them to.  IS there another format to
which I can pre-convert my material so that loading it into ardour is
relatively rapid and painless?  Or am I missing something?  So for
instance I have a wave file here:

$ file 001_first_entry.wav
001_first_entry.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 16 bit, stereo 44100 Hz

jack is running at 44100 Hz, so I at firstthought the issue had to do
with bit-rate.  However, madplay can output 32-bit audio (just 24-bit
with padding, really, as far as I understand), so I tried just now with
a 32-bit file and again had to wait.  Am I using the wrong file
format?  Or are there any other suggestions?  THis isn't a big issue
but it would be nice to havei nstant access to the audio.

thx,

matt

--
Matt Price