[linux-audio-user] gstreamer, rhythmbox, and mp3

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Wed Feb 7 00:22:33 EST 2007

On 2/6/07, Peteris Krisjanis <pecisk at gmail.com> wrote:
> For one I can agree that Gstreamer came rather long way. It was very
> barerly usable for videos with Totem/Gstreamer0.8, and RB had lot of
> quirks with migration over Gstreamer0.10. However, this have changed
> very much thanks to hard work of community. In fact, it is second most
> active community besides JACK.
>
> So, Gstreamer gets taken seriously more and more each day. It is
> suitable for your use? It is your choice. I say - try it, because I
> think it is quite changed from the last time guys which gave you their
> recomendations tried it.

My initial experience with gstreamer was also very bad - I think
because some distros (Ubuntu for one) either shipped
totem/gstreamer0.8 as the default movie player before it was ready, or
shipped an unusable configuration.  I'll definitely try again after
Paul's comments.

So what's the relationship between PulseAudio and gstreamer?  Are
these projects cooperating at all or being pushed by competing
distros?

Lee