[linux-audio-user] Soundfonts

linuxmedia4 at netscape.net linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Mon Feb 12 14:56:57 EST 2007

>> Could you suggest a script that will load soundfonts upon startup ?

> Make sure first that you have the awesfx package installed. I use this script
> that someone gave me. It runs from /home/username/.kde/autostart.
>
> Presuming you have copied the soundfont from the cdrom for the soundcard to
> your home directory, it goes like this.
>
> In .kde/autostart right click, and select create new, then text file.
> Name it something like soundfont.sh , with these contents.
>
> #!/bin/bash
> ## Created by me to load soundfonts on login
> sfxload <path-to-soundfont>
>
> In my case this is: sfxload CT4MGM.SF2  , presuming you have the soundfont
> installed in the /home/user directory.
>
> Make sure to make the soundfont file executable in it's
> properties/permissions.

Some of this goes beyond the scope of your immediate concern, but if you
have a multi-user system, you can put the above command in whatever
script is devoted to running commands during bootup. On my Planet CCRMA
system, it's located at: /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

If you do that, you might want to find a universal directory to put the
soundfont. I have a directory called /Snd were all soundfonts, samples,
instruments (etc) that are used by all users are located. Also, it makes
for a universal directory structure that all users can use for their
programs (make sure the owner of the directories and files are 'root'
and are readable by all so they can't be deleted by 'normal users'). For
instance, if you have a sound bank in Specimen, and it uses the samples
/Snd/Samples/Drums/Kick_04.wav, and /Snd/Samples/Drums/Snare_03.wav,
then you can share that Specimen Bank with any user, because any user
using that bank will be able to access those samples. It also means that
not every user needs to duplicate all these samples in their own home
directories.

This assumes that only one user uses the computer at at time. If it's a
network and several people are accessing the sound files at the same
time, I have no clue what would happen. I have zero experience with
networked systems.

Just a thought,
Rocco