[linux-audio-user] unable to open rtc device

Dragan Noveski perodog at gmx.net
Wed Feb 14 23:16:36 EST 2007

hi list,

looking into dmesg i find this strange thing:

'drivers/rtc/hctosys.c: unable to open rtc device (rtc)'

kernel configuration file looks like:

nowhiskey at murija2:/usr/src/linux-2.6.20$ grep RTC .config
CONFIG_RTC=m
# CONFIG_RTC_HISTOGRAM is not set
CONFIG_GEN_RTC=m
CONFIG_GEN_RTC_X=y
CONFIG_SND_RTCTIMER=m
CONFIG_SND_SEQ_RTCTIMER_DEFAULT=y
CONFIG_RTC_LIB=y
CONFIG_RTC_CLASS=y
CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS=y
CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS_DEVICE="rtc"
# CONFIG_RTC_DEBUG is not set
# RTC interfaces
CONFIG_RTC_INTF_SYSFS=y
CONFIG_RTC_INTF_PROC=y
CONFIG_RTC_INTF_DEV=y
# CONFIG_RTC_INTF_DEV_UIE_EMUL is not set
# RTC drivers
# CONFIG_RTC_DRV_X1205 is not set
# CONFIG_RTC_DRV_DS1307 is not set
# CONFIG_RTC_DRV_DS1553 is not set
# CONFIG_RTC_DRV_ISL1208 is not set
# CONFIG_RTC_DRV_DS1672 is not set
# CONFIG_RTC_DRV_DS1742 is not set
# CONFIG_RTC_DRV_PCF8563 is not set
# CONFIG_RTC_DRV_PCF8583 is not set
# CONFIG_RTC_DRV_RS5C372 is not set
# CONFIG_RTC_DRV_M48T86 is not set
# CONFIG_RTC_DRV_TEST is not set
# CONFIG_RTC_DRV_V3020 is not set
nowhiskey at murija2:/usr/src/linux-2.6.20$

in the line 'CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS_DEVICE' i choosed 'rtc' because in my
filesystem there is only '/dev/rtc' and no '/dev/rtc0' or '/dev/rtc1'.

anyway, more down in the dmesg there is:

'Real Time Clock Driver v1.12ac
 Generic RTC Driver v1.07'

does this mean that rtc is started successfully  or not?

the module 'rtc' shows up in lsmod after boot.

i hope that someone can help me to clarify what is going on here.

cheers,
doc