[linux-audio-user] midi won't play although sound works

Julien Claassen julien at c-lab.de
Mon Feb 19 17:33:57 EST 2007

Hi Carlyle!
  I don't know if this helps but...
  Did you connect an external midi-device to your computer? Because midi-port
16 and 20 seem to refer to your read hardware midi-jacks. You might try the
following:
  Either take port 17 for playback, if tour audigy is thus supported, it
should play from its internal mini-synth or soundfonts, I don't know. Or try
TiMidity (there's a website at sourceforge.net. TiMidity is a software
Synthesizer. It loads midi-files and plays them using sounds from you
computer.
  Third thing you might try: Start up fluidsynth with some Gm-soundfont and
then do an aconnect -ol to find fluidsynth's port and then give pmidi or
aplaymidi this port.
  If it all doesn't work, I don't know...
  HTH.
  Kindest regards