[linux-audio-user] MIDI file (SMF) conversions

Alexandre Ratchov alex at caoua.org
Tue Feb 20 02:10:44 EST 2007

On Sat, Feb 17, 2007 at 01:11:19PM -0700, Bob van der Poel wrote:

> Anyone know of a little utility to convert SMF files from type 0 to type
> 1? I can do this one at a time with a seq like rosegarden, but I'd like
> to bulk process a bunch of files.

hi,

you can import midi files of type 0 in midish (use a recent
snapshot) and export them back as SMF type 1. For instance the
follwing shell script should do it:

#!/bin/sh

for i; do
mv $i $i.old
echo "songimportsmf \"$i.old\"; songexportsmf \"$i\";" |midish
done

resulting files may slightly differ from original: certain events
are removed/modified/added to ensure consistency, system exclusive
messages are moved into the beggining of the track.

cheers,

-- Alexandre