[linux-audio-user] OT: FUD or not? what is your opinion?

Damon Chaplin damon at karuna.eclipse.co.uk
Wed Feb 21 08:04:26 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 20:32 +0000, Tim Orford wrote:

> Is Eugenia a troll? Sure. I think she's right in this case,
> but that's no bad thing. I got a bit disturbed after reading
> her "wake-up call", but after some reflection, I feel
> positive. Know your strengths!
>
> Audio is a another matter, but that's a different discussion
> altogether:-)

Yes, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!

I bought my first midi keyboard last week (a CME UF5), and it's great
fun with the Reason demo in Windows. But I've spent hours and hours
messing with about 4 different synths under Linux and each one failed
(in a different way, of course!). That is absolutely ridiculous.

It would also be nice if the LAD community could agree on an ideal audio
architecture for the desktop. Otherwise GNOME & KDE may switch to new
sound servers which still don't support pro-audio apps.

What would be the ideal?
 o gstreamer/phonon -> sound server (e.g. pulseaudio) -> jack -> alsa?
 o merge jack code into pulseaudio?
 o Define an API for pro-audio apps to switch audio output to jack
   temporarily? (if jack isn't suited to running constantly)
 o something else?

Damon