[linux-audio-user] various softs and AMD64

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Wed Feb 21 09:05:55 EST 2007

Greetings:

I was wondering if anyone has successfully used ChucK in a 64-bit
environment. I can build the app without any complaints from the
compiler, but it segfaults whenever I try running a script. Also, the
TAPESTREA program doesn't work x86_64, the GUI appears but no elements
are usable. They do look nice though. :)

I built and employed the JUCE library, it's the business behind the
popular Tracktion  (Win/Mac only, afaik). I successfully built and
tested Kjetil's latest Mammut with it, and I must say that it's a very
attractive GUI. Beats the tar out of the old GTK1 look. Some changes to
the JUCE sources were needed, Jules knows about them, so hopefully the
lib will soon compile for 64-bits out of the box.

SuperCollider's sclang seems to be an utterly lost cause for pure 64-bit
environments. I've set up a chroot to try running sclang from within
that space, but I've yet to put together a complete development
environment in the chroot (I need to compile sclang there). What a PITA.

I built and tested some of the code from the EnergyXT2 site, including a
couple "native Linux VSTs" (the CMT Bitcrusher and the Destroy FX
Transverb). I could instantiate them within EnergyXT2, but no GUIs
appeared. Btw, it seems that the EnergyXT2 devels have been working on a
port of Steinberg's vstgui, it might be worth looking into. I'd be more
interested in pursuing tests with the program, but my enthusiasm is
tempered by the lack of source code. :(

Sun has released an AMD64-happy JDK 1.5, which I've been using to run
various Java-based music and sound apps. Not surprisingly, they work
nicely. I've tested MEAPsoft, ImproVisor, and a few other useful apps,
and I plan to see what can be done with jMusic and Phil Burk's jSyn
environment. Btw, jCollider worked well with SC3, but I'm loathe to
learn Java. Nothing against it, I'm just too busy to learn another language.

I tried to build transcode yesterday, I want to convert some AVI files
to DVD format. Alas, building the required mjpegtools failed, and I
wasn't up to chasing down the cause (more unhappiness with 64-bits, I'm
sure). Anyone have a better method for this project, maybe one that
doesn't require transcode ?

Okay, peace out, ciao for now.

Best,

dp