[linux-audio-user] OT: FUD or not? what is your opinion?

M P Smoak smoak at mis.net
Wed Feb 21 13:56:30 EST 2007

On Wednesday 21 February 2007 10:28 am, Dave Phillips wrote:
> What dismays me is the lack of any energy from
> *outside* the LA community directed *towards* the community. And
> considering some of the heavy weights connected to Linux today, I
> really have to wonder why this status remains quo. Example: IBM does
> audio hardware, they also do Linux in a big way, and they have real
> industry clout. IBM can offer real material assistance to Linux audio
> devs, but afaik they don't. Why not ? They can deal with SCO's
> nonsense but can't fund a Linux audio project ? While I'm pleased
> that IBM does support the general community, I have to wonder just
> how aware they are of the LA communities.
>
> Any lurkers from IBM who want to add to these comments ?
>
> Curmudgeonly,
>
> dp

Hi Dave,

Sorry you're sorta blue and grumpy today, but maybe it'll inspire a
tune or something.  Lack of outside interest gets to me too.

I'm in a bit of a silly mood today; what follows is real tongue-in-
cheek.  (But maybe a bit of truth in it too.)

You know I'm an IBM retiree; I don't have any real contact with the
company anymore; they've outsourced pension/benefits/etc. Not that
I'm complaining; glad I get what I get.  But I wonder how linuxaudio
could get their attention and possible assistance.  How? ...sco...
naw ....  And then the flash of silliness.

Remember the old '60s movie, The Mouse That Roared?  Johnny Winters and
folks I can't recall.  Small country is broke.  Needs help, can't find
any.  So they invade the US on the theory that they will be defeated
and the US will then give them aid to rebuild their country.

So maybe we should attack some company ... naw, wouldn't ... but ....

Just being silly, sometimes silly can help.  But then again sometimes
silly has gotten me into trouble ... but fewer times than serious has.

Hope thing lookup for you soon,

Marv  in  Lexington, KY  where it feels like Spring today

ps  Do you still have a donation button on you website?