[linux-audio-user] Problem with virmidi module

Yves Potin yves at jazzcomputer.org
Thu Feb 22 07:07:48 EST 2007

Le 22 Feb à 02:53, terrence at terrencevak.net ecrivait:
> 	How could I do this in console mode though?  I don't use graphics
> on this computer.  I'm using a screen reader, and console mode works
> best.

        When I launch « fluidsynth -a jack » it appears on the qjackctl
MIDI ports, which means it's present on alsa MIDI ports, without any
virmidi module. Qjackctl supposes a graphical interface, I'm not used to
connect the softs directly using the command line, but it's certain that
you don't need the virmidi module.
        In the command line, fluisynth offers a prompt with a help, to
load soundfonts on dedicated channels for example. Connexions between the
sequencer and the synth must be made in alsa directly using the command
line if I understand this help, I cannot say how to do it but it's clear
you can without any other module as long as fluidsynth is able to
start...
        HTH anyway,

Y.

P.S. if you don't use the jack MIDI feature, wich AFAIK is only in
experimental versions, MIDI connexions are made in alsa, not in jack.