[linux-audio-user] Linux music editor, greater than 32-bit ?

Brett W. McCoy idragosani at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 17:01:35 EST 2007

On 2/22/07, Sampo Savolainen <v2 at iki.fi> wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 13:48 -0600, millward wrote:
> > I've got a sound card capable of 96 bits, ( M-Audio audiofile 24/96 )
> > but my sound editor, Audacity for Linux, only goes up to 32 bits.
> > Is there a sound editor for Linux that can do higher than 32 bits?
>
> You have misunderstood the specifications of that soundcard. 24/96
> refers to a maximum depth of 24 bits (=32 bit float) and up to 96000Hz
> sampling rate. This is /way/ enough for use with audible audio.

I have a further question on that... if I am using Jack (w/ Ardour),
does Jack automatically use the highest bit resolution possible for my
hardware (in my case, a Delta1010), and this is only overridden with
the 'force 16 bits' flag? (Overlooking any session exporting to a
file, of course).

-- Brett