[linux-audio-user] ANN: JOST, a simple host for native VST

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Mon Feb 26 11:51:55 EST 2007

Paul Davis schrieb:
> On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 14:18 +0100, Michael Bohle wrote:
>> Lucio decided to make an
>> small host JOST (Jack hOST) to a instrumentrack with basic sequencer
>> functions. Later he will build up a full sequencer named "Juggler", which
>> should be near to the commercial Tracktion. (JUCE is the framework behind
>> Tracktion1)
> there are already a few JACK-aware VST hosting sequencers/DAWs. there is
> already DSSI. there is already a DSSI-VST bridge. there is already a
> run-VST-plugin-as-JACK-client host. what do you actually think is gained
> by starting up yet another project to do this?

The named VST on Linux Projects (FST, DSSI-VST etc) work quite well for
now but are far from being perfect - so helping to make things better,
that exist already would be most appreciated. Some more interesting
opportunities to invest talent, time and effort?
Here we go:

LASH: http://www.nongnu.org/lash/
very important, extremely sexy, last news from 2006/10/08

ReZound: http://sourceforge.net/projects/rezound
most powerfull, jackaware, destructive waveeditor that can be used
whithout lerning a programminglanguage. Is being ported to QT4 at the
moment by his sole developer, Davy Durham, who has expressed lately,
that he would not have any problems to accept some collaboration.

LADSPA: http://www.ladspa.org/ and LV2: http://lv2plug.in/
nice pluginsystem free licence, could need some help also.

This List could go on and on and on.

If Lucio really wants to be involved in something like tractor, there
are Muse, Rosegarden and even QTactor to be involved in. Or try to help
making Wired do something usable.

But nobody really needs a Tractor-like app being coded from scratch.

> mike said that he
> didn't have to guts to ask "Does anyone ever think that maybe there are
> too many projects?". he did raise the idea that it would be really good
> for *everyone* if people would give some of their attention to other
> projects periodically. i plead guilty to not doing this, its true.

I am astonished also how little the interest for the whole scene is
among some people - free software means cooperation its a concept to
surpass strategies like "me on my own have to fight for survival".