[linux-audio-user] ANN: JOST, a simple host for native VST

Pieter Palmers pieterp at joow.be
Mon Feb 26 14:21:44 EST 2007

Leonard Ritter wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 19:18 +0100, Pieter Palmers wrote:
>> In our attempt to help fulfilling 'the need for every single possible
>> hardware interface to work', we could use some helping hands.
>
> i suppose you are talking about freebob. what about writing a
> documentation on how to do this? i, for example, own an m-audio firewire
> 410 that does right now not work with freebob, but i consider myself to
> be unable to comprehend anything that relates to devices or the
> programming of them. how can you free me from my anxieties? give me
> information!
I'm as unhappy as you that we don't have the information we need to
support the 410. Obtaining information from some hardware vendors is
almost as time-consuming as writing support for their devices.
(This is one of the area's where fragmentation does not help.)

The really sad fact is that supporting it with freebob will probably be
very easy, but we just don't get that little bit of extra information we
need. If you can manage to get it, it is a matter of days.

Just for perspective: I implemented the DICE-II basic support in one
day, because they provided me with decent information. Now the only
thing is that they have to provide me with a device to test my
implementation with... debugging will probably take longer than writing it.

>> We should keep in mind that we're all doing it for fun (I hope)
>
> you call this fun? it's horrible! fun is a night of watching "dead like
> me" seasons! writing gallons of code to solve a problem is not fun! a
> solved problem is fun, yes!
fair enough... the headaches are no fun indeed.
but success is very cool.

> call it passion. and fame is a valid reward for passion.
that is a better term indeed.

>> To some extent, the developers are to blame too. How often does a
>> project lack (decent) source code documentation, while that is IMHO
>> necessary for cooperation?
>
> exactly!
>
>> PS: tell me that these already exist, so that I don't have to start
>> my
>> own private projects: 'AbletonLive4Linux',
>
> aldrin is supposed to progress towards a blend of ideas from buzz, live
> and reason. however i never used live much, so i need people to tell me
> what they'd like to see in the app.

What I want is an application that allows me to be creative with loops
without losing the idea of a song. The focus is live mixing oriented.

Start from a song, then split it into 'regions' that can be looped
(either beforehand or live). Then allow sequencing of these loops in any
imaginable manner. Imagine a song with
"intro-theme1-bridge-theme2-outtro". I want to be able to say: play
intro, then theme1 two times, skip the bridge and play theme2 two times,
then theme1 again, then the outtro. Then start over.

I want this on multiple tracks (song1-song2-song3) simultaneously and
synchronized, while respecting beats/bars.

etc...

Pieter