[linux-audio-user] Linux music editor, greater than 32-bit ?

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Mon Feb 26 14:56:15 EST 2007

Vincent Jaubert wrote:
> On 2/26/07, Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org> wrote:
>> 24 bit means 135dB signal/noise ratio.
>>
>> I haven't seen yet analog gear capable of 135dB.
>
> 24 bits is useful for processing. For the end user, 16 bits is enough.

Right, keep an overhead while processing, while the requirements for
delivery are lower.

But I would argue that I'd like a tad more than 16bit for delivery.
20bit would give us around 115dB if I'm not mistaken. 22bit would be
somewhere in the 120's. It would be nice to cover the whole dynamic
range of the human ear, which is 120dB.

Come to think of it, it's probably easier to just make it 24bit (3x8)
and forget all the nitpicking. Let processing be done on 32bit and that
would be it.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/