[linux-audio-user] ANN: JOST, a simple host for native VST

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Tue Feb 27 07:02:51 EST 2007

On Monday 26 Feb 2007 23:01, Bengt Gördén wrote:
> måndag 26 februari 2007 23:33 skrev Chris Cannam:
> > I do instantly take a dislike to projects that start up saying
> > their ambition is to clone some commercial app directly for Linux.
> > But that's another argument (that I seem to remember having on LAD
> > once before, and will have again in the pub with anyone, any day).
>
> Well you're on. I've got no problem discussing that topic. It's not
> commercial app that is the problem. It's the closed source that is.

Yes, I should have said closed source or proprietary.  Not that it makes
much difference in this context, as all the commercial audio apps are
proprietary and there are few proprietary non-commercial audio apps
that are substantial enough to inspire projects to clone them.

It's not that I wouldn't prefer they were free software; it's that
setting out to clone an existing program, especially in the field of
art or entertainment, is a misapplication of your own creative energy.

Here's the earlier flam^H^H^H^Hargument.  I don't have much to add.
http://www.music.columbia.edu/pipermail/linux-audio-dev/2006-February/014743.html

It's really a five pints in the pub discussion.

Chris