[linux-audio-user] ANN: JOST, a simple host for native VST

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Tue Feb 27 08:01:43 EST 2007

> On Monday 26 Feb 2007 23:01, Bengt Gördén wrote:
>> måndag 26 februari 2007 23:33 skrev Chris Cannam:
>> > I do instantly take a dislike to projects that start up saying
>> > their ambition is to clone some commercial app directly for Linux.
>> > But that's another argument (that I seem to remember having on LAD
>> > once before, and will have again in the pub with anyone, any day).
>>
>> Well you're on. I've got no problem discussing that topic. It's not
>> commercial app that is the problem. It's the closed source that is.
>
> Yes, I should have said closed source or proprietary.  Not that it makes
> much difference in this context, as all the commercial audio apps are
> proprietary and there are few proprietary non-commercial audio apps
> that are substantial enough to inspire projects to clone them.
>
> It's not that I wouldn't prefer they were free software; it's that
> setting out to clone an existing program, especially in the field of
> art or entertainment, is a misapplication of your own creative energy.
>
> Here's the earlier flam^H^H^H^Hargument.  I don't have much to add.
> http://www.music.columbia.edu/pipermail/linux-audio-dev/2006-February/014743.html
>
> It's really a five pints in the pub discussion.

I couldn't agree more. The strength, and the exciting nature of free
software as I see it, is that it can do things closed source software
can't, or won't do - due to the rules of ownership or commercial pressure.

The problem is that the drive to _use_ free software can come just for
cost or political reasons, rather than simply finding an application that
does the job better - and these people want to see equivalents of things
they'd otherwise have to pay for.

I suppose a big problem is the OS divide - if there was only one, users
would be able to mix and match free or costly apps easier. Everyone talks
about choice, but it's restricted either way currently.

cheers,

dave