[linux-audio-user] ANN: JOST, a simple host for native VST

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Tue Feb 27 09:31:35 EST 2007

On Tuesday 27 Feb 2007 13:34, Michael Bohle wrote:
> This is partly a self made problem: to release VST aware software
> under GPL is a kick against the users, against the musicans who want
> to use Linux as a all in one OS solution.
>
> Thats why Chris Cannam decided to release dssi-vst under a lesser
> GPL.

No, it isn't.  I released dssi-vst under a cut-down GPL because the
Steinberg license prevented me from releasing it under the normal GPL.

> To make the Steinberg VST-SDK licencing issues responsible for this,
> is not the fine art of politics. The main problem is the restrictive
> GPL.

I find it fascinating that someone who appears to be involved with the
development of a Linux distribution should give so little credit to the
GPL as one of the reasons they are able to do so in the first place.

Chris