[linux-audio-user] ANN: JOST, a simple host for native VST

Tim Orford tim at orford.org
Tue Feb 27 17:35:03 EST 2007

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 10:01:41PM +0100, Leonard Ritter wrote:
> some examples i consider extraordinary:

thanks for the links, i enjoyed listening to the tracks, though
i think your graphical work is more 'extraordinary'.

These tracks all have a typical tracker sound. To many ears
they could do with being mixed. Personally, i like the raw
tracker sound, but it comes over much better when you distribute
the actual module, not a compromised mp3.

> works, and if you consider this approach unprofessional, then, honestly,
> screw you.

Not trying to win friends then :-)

Seriously, slagging off pros makes it look like you have an
inferiority complex. I specifically mentioned Cubase to try and
convey some frame of reference. Although it is used by pro's it
is not primarily a pro application.

But to try and bring this vaguely back on topic, my personal vision
would be to have a versatile framework that allowed someone
like yourself to quickly create a cool tracker style editor
(for example) so that everyone would get the benefit of this
mode of creating, but not be limited by it. Its not my intention
to try and lock people into old ways of working, its just that there
are some features that established applications provide, that some
people have to have as a _starting_ point. You have made it clear
that that is not way you want to work, and that is fine by me:-)

cheers
--
Tim Orford