[linux-audio-user] ANN: JOST, a simple host for native VST

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Feb 27 17:53:04 EST 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 23:19 +0100, Malte Steiner wrote:
> I didnt get the point of this discussen and regard it rather worthless
> and destructive.
> Aldrin is geard toward electronic pattern based music so why blame it
> for what it is? Of course its not for the sopranos, I guess the only
> electronic thing they need is Protools and some outboard mastering
> equipment or software, so this is Ardour.

tim said: "Traditionally, trackers are limited applications with
non-scalable architecture catering to a set of niche users. No one is
going to seriously compare the feature set of a tracker to
cubase/logic/protools etc."

in response, leonard said: "that noone has ever had any big success with
the sole use of trackers, and watch the response."

i was simply pointing out that this wasn't tim's point at all. he didn't
say "you can't make music with a tracker". he implied that only a very
few musicians make music with trackers, and of them, not many are
particularly successful in terms of making music that other people
listen to.

there's no hatred for trackers - i think the whole concept is very cool.
its just, as tim said, its a limited design that caters to a niche set
of users. nothing wrong with that at all.

--p