[linux-audio-user] ANN: JOST, a simple host for native VST

Malte Steiner steiner at block4.com
Tue Feb 27 19:46:01 EST 2007

> JACK isn't really suited for doing modular type things - there is a
> fixed number of ports you can use (which is rather low by default) and
> doing a context switch for every ugen will get rather expensive. Same
> goes for the ALSA sequencer or any IPC-based routing system. JACK is
> great for connecting a couple of clients, but building a large modular
> synth patch from JACK clients isn't the best way.

I made myself not clear enough, I meant modularity as in studio
(connecting blackboxes together in a mixing desk and to a sequencer),
not modular synthesizer (connecting many many blackboxes to create a
sound). I have some reservations plugging in whole synthesizers inside a
sequencer application, but it might be just me. On the other hand I
perform life with laptop so total recall is even more an issue than in
studio situation. At the moment I am happy with seq24 connected to pd,
maybe with another synth or even a jackxmms just in case something crashes.
  So many ways, freedom of choice makes me dizzy :)

Cheers,

Malte

--
Malte Steiner