[linux-audio-user] Linux music editor, greater than 32-bit ?

Arnold Krille arnold.krille at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 06:44:45 EST 2007

Hi Paul and all (that rhymes :-),

2007/2/27, Paul Winkler <pw_lists at slinkp.com>:
> On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 10:40:46PM +0100, Arnold Krille wrote:
> > 120dB is the difference between just loud enough to be heard by your
> > ear (1dB) and the loudness when the bones in your ear bow to protect
> > it. At higher levels (>120dB) your ear aches but it will recover if
> > the noise isn't permanent. At least thats the definition I learned...
> I got my numbers from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel#Safety but
> obviously their numbers represent some sort of typical examples; I
> been in a number of discotheques (here in the US we can't pronounce
> that so we just say "clubs") that had sound levels far above 100 dB.
> The amount of time the ear can be exposed to a given sound pressure
> level before sustaining permanent damange clearly varies a lot from
> person to person. But government standards are probably a good
> guideline to start with, eg. OSHA table G-16:
> http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9735

I stand corrected, my numbers where from my physics-book which states
that 120dB is the "Schmerzgrenze" and 0dB is the slightest whisper
human ear can hear. Problem is that these values vary on the frequency
so there is a correction curve standardised(?) in some A-something
paper so these corrected values for the human ear are called db(A)...

Otherwise these logarithmic power- and pressure-levels are bubbling my
mind and if I don't stop thinking about theme, I will get even more
screws loose in my head.

So, for the archives and the record and Paul, don't trust the words I
said, I don't really have a clue. At least not good enough to do an
argument.

Happy coding and musing(?),

Arnold
--