[linux-audio-user] Survey about exporting audio sessions

Arnold Krille arnold.krille at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 10:41:52 EST 2007

2007/2/26, Thorsten Wilms <t_w_ at freenet.de>:
> I'm working on concepts for a new export dialog in Ardour.

I got used to the one present in 0.99.x. Only the selection of the
filename could be nicer.

> I would like to hear of your needs regarding final mixdown
> /export using any software, not just Ardour.
>
> - Do you export once in the end, or do you do tests in
> between?

The musicians want alpha- and beta-versions of the songs in between
studio days, so I create several versions before final mixdown.

> - Do you work with stereo and/or multi-channel?

Stereo. I would love to produce surround-music but currently we aim for:

> - What are your targets: CD, DVD, Web?

CD and Web for teasers.

> - File-types: WAV, Flac, Ogg, MP3?

All of them! ;-)

But I am well satisfied if ardour stays with exporting to wave and
letting conversion and compression be done by other apps.

> - Bits and sampling rates you need?

16/44.1 and up.

> - Do you or would you like to export to several formats at
> once? If yes, which exactly?

No.

> - Do you know of outstanding solutions in any application?

I didn't use anything else than ardour for some years now.

> - What problems do you run into?

hydrogen doesn't support freewheeling. So I have to record the drums
before exporting...

> - Wishlist items?

Make hydrogen support freewheeling. :-)

> - If you use Jamin, do you feed it with multitrack material
> or rather with mixdowns?

It becomes a pre-fader-insert on the master-bus fairly late during
mixing. Or when mastering the cd as whole...

Keep on hacking,

Arnold
--
visit http://www.arnoldarts.de/