[linux-audio-user] OT: Recommendations for Headphones and Mic

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Mon Jan 1 17:29:07 EST 2007

James Stone wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 01, 2007 at 10:48:39AM -0800, Brad Fuller wrote:
>> James Stone wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am planning to buy some reasonable headphones and an
>>> entry-level mic for voice recording.. I would be grateul if
>>> anyone here has some recommendations..
>>>
>> what will you use the headphone and mic for? Are they both for singing?
>> For VO work?
>
> Yes.. for singing.
>
>> What is your price range?
>>

> I'm really doing this on a budget.. The soundcard is a real
> bottleneck (SBLive) so there is no point (as I see it) spending
> masses on the mic/headphones.. I was thinking in the region of
> 50 GBP for each.. The Audio-Technica ATH-D40 look interesting..
> any thoughts?

If it's for singing in the studio, you might check out open design
headphones opposed to closed design. This makes it better to hear
yourself and others around you when singing. I particularly like
Sennheiser because most of their products have replaceable parts.

The SM58 mentioned before is a perfectly fine mic for those on a tight
studio budget. I would suggest that before the SM57. That's about $100.
Dynamic mics are generally going to be cheaper than condensers or
ribbons when matching quality to quality. But, there are many new
condensers out and the prices are competitive. You might fair better
auditioning several of the lower priced condensers if you are going to
use this for studio singing.  Check out the AKG Perception mics. They
are inexpensive. I've never used one, so I don't know anything about
them except they are inexpensive and mfr'd in China. Audio-Technica has
several inexpensive condensers as well. Shure has an all-around rugged
condenser for vocals: SM86. If you want a rugged handheld mic, the SM58
is good. But, you can't beat the Electro-Voice 635A. It use to be
advertised as being able to hammer nails and still work fine. It'll
never break.

I would determine what exactly you'll be using the mic for (you might
want a more versatile mic for your first), your budget and then check
out the web prices at places like sweetwater or BSW.

--
brad fuller
  http://www.Sonaural.com/