[linux-audio-user] OT: Recommendations for Headphones and Mic

James Stone jamesmstone at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 18:21:18 EST 2007

On Tue, Jan 02, 2007 at 12:11:59PM -0800, st wrote:

> >The Samson C01U seems to get some variable reviews though..
>
> This may work well for you, since you are on a budget, but
> I wouldn't recommend it for the long run.  You would be
> buying a Microphone, preamp and USB audio interface all at
> once, and *when* you decide that you want to upgrade one of
> those features, you will have to do them all at the same time.
>
> The Soundblaster line input is fine for recording.  Don't
> even consider the mic input.  It is too noisy.  Unfortunately
> you are looking at about $200 for a low cost preamp and
> large-diaphragm condenser, which is out of your price range,
> but would really give you a nice sound, even with the soundblaster
> line in.  Later, you will find out that the mic pre is too noisy,
> so you will spend more on a better one, then you will find out that
> the mic itself is generating quite a bit of noise (not dynamic of course,
> but they expose more preamp noise due to gain requirements) so
> you will upgrade that.  Finally, you may want to upgrade the sound
> card because it will become evident that the soundblaster has
> an annoying limiter built in that makes it tough to overload the
> digital signal, but does squash the loud parts of the signal,
> changing the sound without your permission.

Thanks for all the input everyone!

I have plumped for a Samson C03 and a Behringer minimic 800
preamp (the tube MP sounded like it was somewhat delicate and
fairly unreliable from a breaking down point of view from the
reviews I read..).. For headphones I decided to get some
Audio-Technica ATHM30.. Sounds like they should be adequate to my
requirements..

So fingers crossed it will all work..

One last thing.. I was puzzling how to connect the mono output
from the preamp to the stereo line-in on the sound card. In the
end I bought a dual mono 1/4" to stereo 1/8" jack lead. This
seems most sensible to me, though I was wondering if a straight
stereo-stereo would have worked??

Anyway, thanks again for the amazing help!

James