[linux-audio-user] Fedora 5 and mp3...

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Fri Jan 5 15:39:18 EST 2007

Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> I have, for the first time, set up FD5 and CCRMA for a look see. I like
> how it all works and the RT kernel runs sweet and gives very low Xrun
> free latency. My only curiosity is that Redhat seem to be not interested
> in pushing the mp3 licensing envelope. Xmms and Amarok wont play my
> extensive list of MP3's citing Redhat does not support the format due to
> said licensing issues.
>
> Other than building from source, are there any players out there that do
> support MP3 under FC5?

Fedora supports MP3, but doesn't come with it. You need to install
either Gstreamer or the XINE plugin. These can be installed from the
livna repo. In the past, it wasn't completely compatible with other
repos, but this may have changed. I'm not running FC5 right now, so I'm
out of the current loop.

In any case, I recommend the Xine plugin for Amarok.  You used to be
able to get this plugin from: amarok-extras-nonfree on livna. It might
be on other repos by now. Others might know here.

http://amarok.kde.org/ had a page about amarok and MP3. You might also
look there.

--
brad fuller