[linux-audio-user] status of ams

Malte Steiner steiner at block4.com
Sun Jan 7 08:44:57 EST 2007

Hello
> I just rediscovered ams. What a nice synth! Actually I started
> implementing some of the few things I feel is missing. However it seems
> to me that nobody's using, at least the mailing lists are totally dead. So:
>
> 1) Anyone using it?
I regulary try it and I am really amazed by the sound. But many parts of
the sound is based on LADSPA plugins and I work now with these in my
preferred environment pd, archieving the same sound.

> 2) If not, why? Don't need/understand this type of synth? Use something
> else (what) instead? Technical reasons/limitations?
Handling is a bit clumsy. Screen estate is wasted by the big objects, no
subpachtes available and I always accidently connect wrong ports. I
think small changes here and there would have great effects in terms of
usability.

> 3) If you ever tried what did you love about it and what did you hate?
> Did you find user friendly? Did it perform well?
>
> 4) To rephrase 2): If the project was resurrected, what would it take
> for *you* to start using it.

A nice thing would be a separete storage of patch settings. I want to
create a synthesizer (the patch) and store different sound settings like
on a non modular synth since the 80s. So I can recall different sounds
without reloading the whole dsp graph.

I could also look in the code, its a timeproblem at the moment.

Cheers,

Malte

--
Malte Steiner