[linux-audio-user] Re: dssi-vst

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Sun Jan 7 12:50:59 EST 2007

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 08:59:08PM -0700, osbusters at softhome.net wrote:
> Two things have changed my mind.
>
> The first is that I saw what looked like an upgrade from Ardour .99 (which
> seemed an unusable beta version) to Ardour 2.2. Well I totally scrapped
> everything "jack" on my system. Hooray!

Ardour 2 is still unstable and should be clearly marked as such.
I'm still happily using 0.99.3.

> Secondly, there is an option on the later versions of Sonar and CubaseSX
> that I find I don't want to do without, that I really can't. That is the
> ability to "freeze" tracks and their respective plugins and vsti's to free
> up resources. My cpu is only 1GHz and I find this option essential if I want
> to put more than a couple of synths and a reverb on any one song.

Ardour has had that feature for years :-)

> I wish you all the best of luck. I surely hope and feel that enthusiasm and
> the joy of discovery will ultimately win out, but for now, I have to lay
> down some tracks.
>
> Check you guys later, and thanks for the support!

Sure. Sorry things didn't work out for you.
It's definitely not a quick-plug-in-and-play world over here.
Luckily for me I don't do much synthesis nowadays so I don't need VSTIs.

--

Paul Winkler