[linux-audio-user] status of ams

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Sun Jan 7 13:06:03 EST 2007

Hello,

Atte André Jensen schrieb:
> Hi
>
> I just rediscovered ams. What a nice synth!
> 1) Anyone using it?

Yes!!! I use it a lot both as a synth and as a LADSPA-FX-host. The
Debian-Binary I use on Ubuntu works flawless and produces sounds I
cannot reproduce with any other synth on Linux.

> 2) If not, why? Don't need/understand this type of synth? Use something
> else (what) instead? Technical reasons/limitations?

If one wants to use it polyphonic, it can easily crack any CPU and the
usage is somewhat a matter of getting used to it. But since the synth
works stable (much more stable than OM), this is worth the effort.

> 3) If you ever tried what did you love about it and what did you hate?
> Did you find user friendly? Did it perform well?

as said before: once you find out, how the interface ticks, it discovers
itself as very userfriendly in terms of how much one have to learn
before the fun begins. In that domain only Zynadd ist up to ams'
standards. It took me about 12 h or so until my first own ams-patch
played something constructive. I have tried to make PD play anything at
all for abot 40-50 h and still cannot make it do anything usable.

Another thing I found to be absolutely outstanding is te maximum
flexibility regarding the support for midi-controllers, ams has a simple
list, in wich an active midicontroller shows up, as it send something,
than you can link this controller to virtually any parameter of the
patch - I dont know any other easily usable synth on Linux, that offers
such...

> 4) To rephrase 2): If the project was resurrected, what would it take
> for *you* to start using it.

I use it, I will be just gratefull, that I can continue and praise you
all over the net ;-) ;-)

> Finally let make it clear that I don't have the time or knowledge to
> take over development of ams. But I'm interested in helping with
> bringing it to a state where it's a bit more usable...

Even if the actual state of ams is preserved and adapted to upcoming
developements, I would extremely appreciate it.