[linux-audio-user] status of ams

Rob lau at kudla.org
Sun Jan 7 16:37:21 EST 2007

On Sunday 07 January 2007 09:47, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> Dave, do you think there is a place for a softsynth that would
> be modular but with a fixed set of modules, everyhing
> controlled from one window, no patch cables, only 'hardware
> controls' such as sliders and switches, each one assignable to
> MIDI, and of course uncompromising audio quality ?

This is something I had back in my Windows days (can't remember
the name of it, but it was basically a Moog Rogue style
2-oscillator synth with MIDI-mappable controls, and it was
pretty cheap shareware) and I really miss it.

I've tried to recreate that kind of instrument using the various
modular synths under Linux.  But the truth is, while I know how
to tweak filter knobs and stuff on a real synth to get the sound
I want, I've never been able to recreate that sort of Moog or
Arp sound that is the whole reason I use simulations of analog
synths in the first place.  I'm not in it to be the next Walter
Carlos.  I did my time with electronic music experimentation
when I used to roll my own DX7 patches, and that's as far as I
ever want to go with it.  Now I just want to compose, arrange
and play using a simulation of an electronic instrument with
which I'm familiar.  (I also would like to figure out a way to
convert the GUS patches I made 10 years ago when I was most
productive, the tweaked-out mellotrons and organs and whatnot,
into soundfonts so I can use them with a Fluidsynth DSSI plugin
rather than having to set up Timidity as an ALSA and JACK
client, but that's for another thread.)

Even a nice "mini" or "2600" preset in Pd or ams or Om, which I
could control using the knobs and sliders on my MIDI controller,
would probably be enough to get me going again.  Preferably one
that lets me save its current state so I don't have to take
screenshots to remember the settings.  I would do it myself but
like I said, I've tried and failed.

Note: I've spent a little time with Bristol's Mini simulation but
haven't had time to figure out how to map MIDI controllers to
its parameters over the last year due to work.  I've also played
with Zyn, since it seems the closest to what I have in mind,
though a little more complex, but holy xruns Batman.  It seems
on this Ubuntu-preloaded laptop I'll have to roll my own kernel
to get the low-latency stuff in there, and I'm not messing with
my kernel until my current work project is done.  Still
irritates me that after all these years we still have to use an
unofficial patch to get audio output as stable as Windows or the
Mac.

Rob