[linux-audio-user] status of ams

Nick Copeland nickycopeland at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 8 14:10:50 EST 2007

Single engine running different emulations, there are different operators
for some aspects of each synth and some share components. Each GUI
represents the parameters that are used by the given emulation and responds
to MIDI controllers on whatever channel it is configured. The GUI can
actually be a single process as well i.e. the graphics library handles
multiple windows simultaneously its just that the only user interface at the
moment is to start multiple GUI that connect to the same engine. When an
interface is integrated to start synths from within the application then the
GUI and engine could become different threads of the same binary. There
would be some benefits from doing that, but it might make a mess of the
distribution capabilties where the GUI and engine can run on different
systems with X11 output to a 3rd system. I quite like this kind of
multitiered architecture albeit overly complex.

The filters are not 'quite' moog quality - not much of a surprise. There are
some new ones being worked on for the Aks and MS20 that should be a bit
warmer.

Try "startBristol -gain 64 -2600 -jack -logo", this should give you a higher
gain at the output stage. Internal operations are float so this should not
affect the quality excessively. Normalising the different gains is something
I should work on as some synths thump outs sounds at different levels. If in
doubt use the -b3 as it has the highest gain as it has over 90 emulated
toothwheels, but then watch our for different -gain values as the results
could be unexpected. Its my job to do this normalisation, but until people
complain enough that won't happen.

Let me know how '-gain 64' works, I was thinking of making this the default.

Regards,

Nick.
http://bristol.sourceforge.net