[linux-audio-user] Re: Outputting same sound source to multiple cards

Kjetil S. Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Wed Jan 10 06:07:14 EST 2007

Sampo Savolainen:

> Quoting reuben firmin <reuben.firmin at gmail.com>:
>
>> With adequate buffering I think this shouldn't be a problem in my use
>> case
>> -- the speakers connected to the wireless device will be in a different
>> room. You're not saying that a soundcard will get so far behind that the
>> buffers will fill up, are you? Both soundcards are designed to output in
>> ~"real time" after all.
>
> Buffering doesn't fix the problem at all. It will maybe postpone it, but
> nothing more.

I disagree. As reuben wrote, "with adequate buffering", it shouldn't be a
poblem. If you buffer enough to postpone it long enough, this is a
perfectly fine solution. I don't think we talk about many megabytes here,
although I'm not sure exactly how much is needed, it depends how
long time a continous play will last.