[linux-audio-user] abusive audio, will it blow up the PA?

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Thu Jan 11 17:48:35 EST 2007

On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 23:12:42 +0100
Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've been playing with fastbreeder, and am extremely pleased with the
> truly wonderful noises it can do (thanks Dave!!!!)
>
> However looking at some of the results in mhwaveedit it seems that it's
> injected with electrical/non-acoustic phenomenons like dc-offset and low
> frequencies. I'm wondering how a home stereo and/or a large PA would
> react to such sounds? Is there anything I should/could do to prevent
> black smoke from coming out of amplifiers and speakers (ears would be ok
> :-))? Or should I simply not worry.
>
> I put a sample at http://atte.dk/download/fb_abuse_groove_3.ogg if
> someone wants to have a look for themselves what I'm referring to...

It shouldn't be any kind of a problem on and even half-decent audio
system (which should have appropriate filters built in). The worst That
could happen is that extreme LF at high amplitude just might tend to
overload input stages, which won't sound very nice. I've heard the
effect described as bugling under water!

Wow! Just looked at it in Audacity - it's pretty extreme! Still
shouldn't be a problem though.

--
Will J G