GP2X as a RealTime Audio generating device (was Re: [linux-audio-user] status of ams)

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Thu Jan 11 18:23:04 EST 2007

>Ok, I'm currently running csound live on a P4 mobile 1.6GHz. Let's
>call this soft synth index 100. What would you estimate the index of
>GP2X to be? Just a serious, guess, I'm not gonna come after you if
>your wrong :-)

I'd give it between 40 - 60, depending on what you're doing in CSound ..

>Secondly, would there be any problems (if so which and could they be
>solved) in getting 1) csound, 2) ams and 3) zynadsubfx running on
>these things?

CSound: a cynch.  ams or zynadsubfx, a bit trickier as it has GUI
requirements: the GP2X does not have X, or a Window manager (though
these have been ported..)

Any softsynth that supports a 'server' mode and a 'GUI command app'
separation can be ported and expected to run 'okay' on the GP2X .. I
know of a synth author who has his text-mode "daemon-style" synth
engine running in the background on the GP2X in such a way that it is
controlled with OSC messages being fired by an SDL app in the
foreground, for example .. or you can use gp2xPd for the interface to
such a synth daemon, also.

--

;

Jay Vaughan