[linux-audio-user] Best possible PCI-Express video card for DAW

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Mon Jan 15 16:11:08 EST 2007

On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 02:46:02PM -0500, mark at ehle.homelinux.org wrote:
> Hello again, folks -
>
> A while back I emailed you for advice on the best motherboard that I
> could get for a rock-solid digital audio workstation. I appreciate all
> the recommendations, and wound up buying an Intel D925XECV2 with a
> Intel Pentium 4 3Ghz processor. I have 2 Kingston 512MB RAM sticks
> coming as well. I've also got a Seagate 250Mb SATA Barracuda on the
> way, too. I will use this for the system software and get a couple of
> bigger drives for data later.
>
> The D925XECV2 is a nice board near as I can tell (I haven't fired it
> up yet) but it does not come with on-board video. It does come with a
> PCI-Express slot, so my next question is what is the best video board
> to get for this setup?

"Best?" Depends what you care about :-) For a low-cost, fanless
(silent!)  card that works well with Free drivers, I've been very
happy with my Gigabyte GV-NX66256DP2 GeForce 6600 256MB card.

With the non-Free drivers, its 3D performance is also more than
sufficient for my continuing quake 3 habit :-)

But it seems to be discontinued already, or at least newegg no longer
has them.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com