[linux-audio-user] Music : Marshall

Giuseppe Zompatori siliconjoe at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 08:09:00 EST 2007

2007/1/16, Esa Linna <esa.linna at kolumbus.fi>:
> Few days ago I tested my new old guitar with Behringer V-Tone GDI21 and
> I was thrilled with the sound. So I made this songs guitar and drum
> parts in few minutes (you can tell..), but after a while I noticed that
> this could be a somewhat real song. Found some old tongue-in-cheek
> lyrics of mine, that tells about Heaven's Gate -cult and its leader
> Marshall Applewhite. After I did this song, I noticed that this suicide
> incident happened 10 years ago!
>
> http://www.emvg.net/esa/marshall.ogg
> http://www.emvg.net/esa/marshall.mp3
>
> I used:
>
> Ardour (SVN w/ VST)
> Millennium MD70 midi "drums" & Hydrogen
> Behringer GDI21 for guitar and bass sounds
> Behringer Eurorack MX602A mixer
> Behringer Tube Ultragain MIC200 for vocals
> Beyerdynamic microphone
> Epiphone Les Paul - el.g.
> Katar Jazzblaster - el.bass
> Roland PC200 midi keys & xfst & Rumpelrausch Täips VSTi (organ sounds)
> Some levelling with Audacity
>
> & some ladspa & vst plugins, mostly TAP plugins.
>

> I would love to hear some feedback and suggestions for final mix. I want
> to keep it somewhat rough..

Hi Esa,

Nice classic rock!
I also got a GDI21 from some time. It's a second hand device I got for
€25. Overall I like the way it sounds, but sometimes I find the high
end a bit harsh so I software-plug it into a cabinet simulator plugin,
that does cure it for me. Also switching the cabinet type on the
plugin side combined with GDI21 tweaking extends the sound palette
somewhat.
The original device (Sansamp GT2) that the GDI21 strives to clone is a
bit better concerning touch sensitivity and low gainish/crunch sounds
in general, but the DI out that's lacking on the original is also a
good point for the GDI21 besides the price.
There's just now way of pulling those marshally sounds out of the CAPS
LADSPA suite IMHO so it's a good buy for the ones looking those kind
of sounds.

Cheers,

-Giuseppe