[linux-audio-user] sample rate question

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Jan 16 22:50:58 EST 2007

Aaron Trumm wrote:
> It's a debate.  People have varying opinions.  One opinion is that getting
> something recorded at a higher quality allows you to process more accurate
> information as you mix, and so on and that school likes to record at high
> sampling rates and keep it there until the last minute, and then very
> carefully do conversions for cd product.
>
> another school of thought says just record at 44.1 because it's going to be
> there in the end anyway.
>
> I think the balance has tipped in favor of the former model (recording at
> higher resolutions and bit depths).  that's what I do.  and in the
> commercial recording studios, people do that mostly (or record on analog and
> then dub to really high res protools for mix down)

My digital SLR shoots in 48-bit color. The resulting color range
includes many colors outside the gamut of colors that computer displays
and printing technology can reproduce. Working from the 48-bit color
file produces much more accurate adjustments to color and dynamic range
(recovering overexposed areas and bringing up underexposed areas).

I would think that working in higher quality sound would help make for
better quality final results, even at the lower quality of a CD. Plus
you have the original high audio that could be distributed as data on
DVD, flash drives, portable hard drives ...

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community