[linux-audio-user] DeMuDi status? Distribution for gig synth?

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Sat Jan 20 16:52:06 EST 2007

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Larry Troxler hat gesagt: // Larry Troxler wrote:
>
>> Well since Ubuntu is designed to be friendly for the casual user
>> familiar with Microsoft's OS, I assume it must have the type of
>> graphical configuration front ends that RedHat and Suse, for example have.
>>
>> And what I like about DeMuDi is that it doesn't have these front ends.
>
> Ubuntu is mostly using the Gnome (or KDE) tools for this. The tools
> are available for Debian as well, if you want them. However I was
> never really using them as I, like you, prefer to fire up a text
> editor.
>
> Ciao

Well, it's not exactly that I prefer using a text editor. Rather, it's a
few other things:

1) These GUI configurations are different with each distribution (at
least, I think they are), so that if there is a smaller user base
supporting each of them.

2) When something invariably goes wrong, it's necessary to find out
what's going on behind the scenes anyway during the course of debugging.

3) Scripting

4) Size. I was for a time thinking of running from a flash card, and it
wouldn't make sense to crowd the flash with GUI configuration tools.

Larry