[linux-audio-user] This criticism of jackd valid?

Michal Seta mis at artengine.ca
Mon Jan 22 12:36:57 EST 2007

Hi,

I have been making music with linux *only* for the past 6-7 years.
Maybe 8...  Well, granted, other things get involved, too, like
voices, acoustic instruments and such, but the linux computer is used
for FX, sampling and whatnot.

I have also been teaching workshops to local artists (Canada - in
Montreal and Ottawa, too), usually on linux and usually Pd.

What I notice is that people are usually constantly busy with various
projects and rather reluctant to drop all the tools they know and own
completely to concentrate only on linux-based production.  The
curiosity is usually there but a leap from, say MacOSX to linux seems
still too much to handle for those who just want to boot a computer
and run (not to mention having to change habits related to use of this
or that software for years).

I notice the same issues in office work.  I'm trying to push linux in
my dayjob environment but so far without much real success other than
sparking a little curiosity.

As for mainstream, well, my music is not mainstream enough to push it
through such channels.  I suppose when people come to talk to me after
a show they associate obscure music with obscure operating system, so
sorry for blowing it for you :)  As per Marshall MacLuhan, "Medium is
the message."  Perhaps it is so...  But it sould work equally well
for those who are into the mainstream.

./MiS
http://www.creazone.ca