[linux-audio-user] Where's the weak link?

Arnold Krille arnold.krille at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 10:51:26 EST 2007

2007/1/25, nescivi <nescivi at gmail.com>:
> On Wednesday 24 January 2007 06:36, linuxmedia4 at netscape.net wrote:
> > I wanted to completely shut off "Battery Polling", and I was under the
> > impression that this was controlled by "apm". So I set it back to "1
> > second polling" and went to System -> Services and disabled "apmd". That
> > didn't effect the nibbling at the hard drive every second,
> I believe KDE is also checking cd-trays, and the like, regularly to check if
> something like a harddrive was attached (this is how they then inform you
> about a recently attached device and ask you how to open it). I am not sure
> where you turn it off, but I am sure it is possible to do so somewhere.
> But I did hear from someone that this desktop feature can cause xruns from
> time to time...

I found cron with its runs every ten minutes more disturbing. (*)
Afaik KDE uses hal and dbus for the device-notifications. It doesn't
poll devices but gets notified.

(*) I added a check for a running jackd (pidof jackd || <run-crons>)
and got rid of problems while still having prelink and co run on a
regular basis.

Have a nice day,

Arnold
--