[linux-audio-user] Audigy2 ZS Notebook support

Michal Seta mis at artengine.ca
Thu Jan 25 13:25:46 EST 2007

Hi,

once again I am replying to my own post...  Not much progress but I
wanted to report on a couple of issues.  I am thinking now that I
should probably be writing to either ALSA developers list or LAD...
If this is the case, somebody, please let me know and I will subscribe
and forward and all that...

Michal Seta <mis at artengine.ca> writes:

> First off, running with jack I get a lot of
> delay of 5721.000 usecs exceeds estimated spare time of 5713.000;
> restart ..

This still holds true.  But:

> type of messages.  There are very few actual xruns, mostly when
> starting or stopping an app but I get thousands of these messages.
> On some occasions,
> however, a "distortion" slowly fades in and then it disappears (after
> a few seconds, sometimes switching desktops or minimizing a window
> stops it right away).

There are still very few xruns but they all behave as described,
i.e. very slowly fading in (what I understand as missed sync) and
they're preceded by thousands (even tens of thousands) of the "delay
of xxxx usecs exceeds estimated spare time ....."

> Linux potegowa 2.6.18-rt7 #1 PREEMPT Sat Jan 20 14:03:41 EST 2007 i686
> GNU/Linux
>
> I tried raising the IRQ 5 priority (and jack, too) but I get no real
> improvement.

I think I've done all the IRQ tweaking I could lay my hands on...
The thing is, that my builtin audio Intel 82801DB-ICH4, which shares
the IRQ with the Audigy2 ZS runs rock solid.  I can't really use it
because 1) it's rather noisy and 2) does not properly support line in
and the mic in is noisy and mono (either the same thing on both
channels or, when switched to stereo, only one channel).  So, this
discovery leads me to believe that the support for my audigy 2 ZS
notebook card in the emu10k1 driver is buggy.  Right?

I had a quick look at the changes in alsa 1.0.14rc2 and all it lists
for my driver is emu10k1: Update registers defines for the Audigy
2/emu10k2.5.  I don't suppose this will help me in any significant
way?

Now, another thing is that all the above tests were done with jack
version 0.100.0.

Most also done with Pd (but also other jack apps).  Pd refuses to run
with this card in ALSA mode but with OSS I can go for hours without a
glitch! For the puposes of tonight's show it is ok and that's how I
intend to run Pd but I would really like to get this card working
well.