[linux-audio-user] sites at linuxaudio.org

Pieter Palmers pieterp at joow.be
Sun Jan 28 04:54:00 EST 2007

Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
>> Please don't get me wrong here, I do appreciate the linuxaudio.org
>> effort, and all the work you (and maybe others) are putting into it.
>>
>> My emotions indicate that I want to help, but my brain keeps on telling
>> me that freebob already takes too much time. I guess these sort of
>> things should be done by LAU's rather than LAD's (not that LAD's aren't
>> LAU's), but they might be a little to busy making music... something
>> that I'd like to do a little more.
>
> I think everyone here who knows Linux audio knows the significance of your
> contributions and I am not even suggesting that you personally should
> implement these changes on the lao site (although greater involvement in
> day-to-day discussion/feedback would be certainly appreciated as it should
> not be much more overhead than what your today's posts on LAU lists were).
> However, there were certainly more polite ways of expressing your
> suggestions for improvements, such as the one included from your latest
> e-mail below.
I apologize for the formulation. When re-reading my initial post, I can
understand the irritation on your side. If such a mail would be directed
to me, I would probably react the same. (the downside of not having the
dimension of extra-verbal communication?)

I'll subscribe to the consortium mailing list immediately so that I can
take part in the discussions going on there. I don't fully agree though
that participating in the discussions is not much overhead.

In our (FreeBoB) defense, we did post our announcement to the consortium
list ;). Thanks for the press release BTW, I don't like that kind of
stuff, so it's good to have somebody else doing it.

> The irony is that while this is being piped to the LAU lists, I do not see
> any users raising their hands to help either...
Maybe if we give it some time (in days) some people might stand up... or
am I being naive here? Is the non-LAD part of the LAU community about
taking only?

The thing is that it is also my belief that everybody can free up some
time to help out. It is a matter of

>> I suggest a link "Portal" under the "Contact" link at the left of
>> linuxaudio.org.
>
> That can be done. However, there should be a way for all sites to share the
> same format/cross-linking info, otherwise the effect of the suggested
> alteration will be rather minimal. In other words, it will be only a matter
> of time before someone else asks the same question on LAU/LAD lists...

The reasoning behind this is that linuxaudio.org exposes itself with
that name, hence interested people probably will be surfing to
linuxaudio.org. So I consider this as the 'starting point' that should
allow access to the available information. The linuxaudio.org site
itself should be purely for the non-technical and non-user side of the
consortium, as it is now.

Again, please accept my apologies for my formulation earlier on,

Pieter