[linux-audio-user] sites at linuxaudio.org

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Sun Jan 28 17:37:17 EST 2007

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 13:23:20 -0500
"Ivica Ico Bukvic" <ico at vt.edu> wrote:

> While I agree that linuxaudio.org sites could benefit from a sidebar or some
> other common tool that binds them more together, I honestly do not see such
> a thing happening until:
>
> 1) community gets more involved, even if that means simple
> feedback/communication on the consortium list (i.e. recently we posted final
> proposed version of the CD cover and got no feedback whatsoever--whether due
> to apathy, disinterest, or something else, I am not sure, needless to
> mention that most of our members do not bother posting their announcements
> on the consortium list).

I missed this. Was it also posted here? I admit to being a bit confused
about which lists are for who.

> 2) other sites which are hosted under the linuxaudio.org do not respond as
> if their individuality is being threatened every time there is even the most
> remote allusion to the idea that there should be some kind of
> unifying/cross-linking framework for the sub-sites.
>
> Recently, I spent a couple of days just dealing with porting of mailing
> lists (OSX server, don't get me started...), while helping Thorsten revise
> the CD cover for Vol.1 of Made in Linux Series, now I see that the main
> linuxaudio.org site needs new news posts regarding recent announcements. And
> this is how the story goes, instead of me trying to plan things that will
> have a much greater impact (i.e. fund-raising, incorporation), I am always
> sidetracked with micro-management since everyone in the LA* community thinks
> linuxaudio.org is a great idea but very few want to help out. Even the few
> volunteers we got in the fall, out of the ones who did not fizzle out, we
> are yet to get *a* contribution...

I would like to help if I knew how... Added to which I already need an
extra 36 hours per day to keep up with what I'm already trying to do :(

> All that being said, the consortium is keeping as busy as always and is
> using whatever limited resources it has to the fullest potential. We should
> be announcing our contributions soon. Also FWIW, portal.linuxaudio.org has
> been announced on linuxaudio.org site (see main page), the one site over
> which consortium has direct control.

Sadly I only noticed it there today after reading this posting - sorry!

FWIW I can sympathise when it seems that nobody notices your efforts.
Us users (musicians) frequently have the same problem, but I
personally, appreciate the efforts of *everyone* who helps produce the
system I use and (mostly) get a great deal of pleasure from.

--
Will J G