[linux-audio-user] Still on the look out for _GOOD_ sampled drums

Tim Howard tdhoward at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 15:41:06 EST 2007

On 1/28/07, Julien Claassen <julien at c-lab.de> wrote:
> Hi all!
>   I still have one problem: I don't have any acoustic drums I REALLY, TRULY
> love. I have one hardware synth with drums, which are ok in the mix )sometimes
> at least) and I have both the naturalstudio kits version 6 and version 7 as a
> soundfont. But they don't really satisfy me neither. They both sound a bit odd
> in the mix, they don't really fit in the room. The version6 is good and hard,
> but has a very short release on the snaredrums and I disagree with the
> bassdrum a bit and the version7 has good release, but sound a bit to soft.
> Even with some compression and other FX-processing I can't get them to sound
> really crunchy.
>   So you see my being choosy and what I generally disagree with. I'm looking
> for a drumkit in eitehr sf2 or .gig format, which sounds very raw (no
> ambiance, no or very subtle FX-processing), not too soft in its attack, has
> good velocity layering and nice basic sampled instruments. If possible it
> would be nice if it had a few more cymbals (I like them :-)).
>   Does anyone have experience with sampled drumkits, finding them, any good
> locations to start looking... Any kit on mind, which you think is very good
> for rock, jazz, a bit of metal or the like. Please give me a hint. For I found
> nothing except the hardware eDrums, which are very expensive, demand, that you
> can play real drums and demand a lot of real room to put them. All of that, I
> don't have. :-)
>   Kindest regards
>         Julien

You may want to check out the Blue Jay Drums series from SONiVOX.  I
have found them to be really good quality.  They come in Gig format,
and they're about $30 US each.  They work great with LinuxSampler.

http://www.sonivoxmi.com/ProductList.asp?lstSort=Synth&lstSynthSearch=GigaStudio2&lstInstruments=Drums

-TimH