[linux-audio-user] cross platform FOSS audio software list

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 12:23:14 EST 2007

On 1/30/07, Ken Restivo <ken at restivo.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 11:52:32PM -0500, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
> > now.  This guy has some good Pure Data stuff:
> >
> > http://obiwannabe.co.uk/html/music/music.html
>
> God DAMN that is good stuff! "George Bush smoked my bluegrass" made me shout, YEAH!

He's a nice guy, so if you like his stuff that much feel free to write
and tell him.

> > I think Tobias Enhaus' Csound piece here is the best one:
> > http://www.csounds.com/compositions/index.html
>
> That's indeed an outstanding composition. That vocoder sound was made in csound? Hmm.

It's actually formant synthesis, no vocoding.  There is no real
recording of anything involved in the piece, just bursts of sine waves
in the right frequencies to sound human.  Csound is pretty useful for
that, if you can wade through the parameters.

> > I'm embarrassed that I can't produce more examples, but it is true
> > that both Csound and Pd can sound like absolutely anything.  The
> > distinction is in how they're used more than what they do.
> >

> That makes sense. The examples you provided have been sufficient to pique my interest. I enjoyed listening and it seems I can download the "source" (osc and sco files for Csound, pd files for, uh, PD), and learn quite a lot from them.

Good stuff.  I do that too.  If learning is what you want, there's
plenty of it to be done with those programs.
BT has published a snippet of Csound code he wrote for a piece on his
Myspace account blog.  He says that, when the song is released
("everything that makes us human, continues" lol), he'll publish the
entire Csound file.  I'm eager to see it simply because the snippet
he's provided shows his programming/production is extremely careful,
and he's been studying Csound for years with some of the top guys.

-Chuckk