[linux-audio-user] Nmmm nmmm (yawn) - updated

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 17:54:31 EST 2007

On 1/30/07, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb at tiscali.fr> wrote:
> On Sunday 28 January 2007 22:31, Folderol wrote:
> > On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 10:32:28 +0100

> > > How are the different instruments panned? By placing instruments
> > > different places in the stereo image, you can really make them come out
> > > without turning everything up. In a way you could say they're not
> > > fighting for the same space in the stereo image.
> >
> > While I take your point about using stereo positioning to enhance the
> > music, I would never use it to assist instrument balance. Indeed I
> > make a point of listening in mono as a final check.
> >
> > Our listeners may be using a small portable, or moving from room to
> > room while using our music as background, so it should sound good with
> > all instruments as clear as possible under these conditions.
> >
> > I've made a few more adjustments to it, and think it is now in its final
> > form. While maybe not technically ideal, I think it works well. The deep
> > chimes have been softened and some timing errors in the 'choir' have
> > been put right, along with a general balancing of levels.
> >
> > The melody can be heard clearly all the way through, and some descant
> > note clashes have been corrected.
> >
> > As before:
> >
> > http://www.musically.me.uk/music/Celtic_Dream.ogg
> > http://www.musically.me.uk/music/Celtic_Dream.mp3
>
> Hi Will. I think this is the best one yet, and sounds really nice. I'm not too
> sure of the bodhran sound though. It sounds a bit soft to me. From watching
> the Orangemen marching in Belfast on tv, the drums seemed to sound a lot
> harder. I have a cdrom with celtic stuff on it, but sadly no bodhran. Perhaps
> I'm thinking of a different drum here.
>
> Anyway, all in all a nice tune. Well done.
>
> Not having much success finding bodhran sounds on Google, but that's no
> surprise.
>
> Nigel.

I didn't have much trouble finding it for GigaStudio. Probably would
work on LS if you have no issues with LS itself. Pricey, but Big Fish
always is.

http://www.bigfishaudio.com/4DCGI/detail.html?350

Here's a couple more. StormDrum is quite a good set. Again, both are pricey:

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/3540
http://www.zero-g.co.uk/index.cfm?articleid=383

Bodhran's are a pretty common drum for sound tracks. Resonant, deep,
they ring nicely if set up well. They get used a lot. Not sure I've
ever seen a free low end gig file but there might be one out there.
You should ask on one of the good GigaStudio forums like Northern
Sound Source:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15

Someone there will know for sure. Wizoo used to be good for this sort
of stuff but I guess they are gone now? (Acquired by DigiDesign?)

Good luck,
Mark