[Freebob-devel] [linux-audio-user] FA-66, slackware, freebob, thinkpad R40 - cracks on recordings

Jouni Rinne jouni.rinne at luukku.com
Wed Jan 31 09:23:49 EST 2007

carmen kirjoitti:

>>> There's nothing wrong with Slackware for audio work - it's what I do all my
>>> development on.  Slackware + "low latency desktop kernel" + set_rlimits (+ rtprio for slower machines) is about all you need to get a very nice
>>> Slackware-based setup for audio.  However, let's not get into a distro war -
>>> use whatever works well for you. :-)
>> I shouldn't have said that. I spoke without knowledge. Sorry.
>
> isnt the author of Slackware diametrically opposed to PAM. and isnt PAM necessary for non-root users to properly use realtime priority?

Speaking from experience, Slackware is one of the best distros if you are going
to install lots of stuff from sources. Rpm- and deb-based distros inevitably,
sooner or later, tend to throw themselves lying on their backs and start to
whimper if you do that.

Lack of PAM support can be seen as a drawback, or, then again, not. Personally
I share Patrick Volkerding's (main developer of Slackware) opinion about PAM,
and as a result built my Gentoo system without PAM support.

"ex-slacker, current gentooist" Jouni Rinne

--
| me at home ~$whoami            ^ ^  | "Trust me, I know what I'm doing!" |
| Jouni 'Mad Max' Rinne      ('x') | - Sledge Hammer                    |